HIP-HOP ARTIST CHRISTAWN HITS NATIONAL RADIOWAVES WITH DEBUT SINGLE “SAVE ME” FEATURING MICAH STAMPLEY

Urban Rock Song Details Rapper’s Transformation From Drug Dealer to Bible Belter

Christawn is a THUG on a mission. A THUG. for him, is The Higher Understanding of God. This Hip Hopper has real talk street cred. In his past life, he ran the streets, sold crack, packed pistols and chased skirts. He’s rapping about all of it on his forthcoming debut CD Life Story (Abundant Harvest Entertainment/Universal Music Christian Group) that hits stores everywhere on May 18, 2010.

Christawn’s first radio single “Save Me” (featuring firey tenor Micah Stampley on the hook) is heating up around the country. The in-your-face rock guitars set the stage for Christawn to rap about the day he cried out for God to save him in 2003. “I had a bundle of crack I had stashed in this brick wall,” he recalls. He and a buddy were leaving the area when the cops caught them. “They threw us up against the car, took our money and put us in the back of the squad car and I’m thinking this is it,” he says. One of the cops went searching for the crack. “You could actually see where the bag was hanging out of the wall,” he explains. “He was putting his hand in holes and feeling around the wall. I just called on the Lord and said, `God if you save me from going to jail, I will leave this life for good.’ The cop came back to the car and I’m thinking the worse. He says, `Get out of the car; this is your lucky day. Get out of here.’”

After the cops left, Christawn returned to the wall and pulled the stash. “I gave it to Buck. He owned Morse Street at the time. I said, `Man, this is it. I’m leaving.’ He tried to talk me out of leaving but I refused to listen. He had some harsh words for me and I left. Two weeks later, Buck gets killed and two years later, the whole block was raided. They were all Bloods and now they are all facing 25 to life. So I know the Lord saved me for a reason.” Since then, Christawn has turned his life around and has been a member of Bethany Baptist Church in South Jersey. The church’s pastor, Bishop David Evans, mentored him and has now made Christawn’s rap dreams a reality.

“Save Me” was recently featured on the “Play it or Fade it” segment on Radio One’s nationally-syndicated program “The Spirit of Hip Hop with Coco Brother.” The audience called in and overwhelmingly voted for the song to be played. “It talks about what I was doing at different points of my life in the streets,” he explains. “That’s the closest song to my heart because it brings me back to where God brought me from… I want people to know this is where I’ve been. A lot of my life story started right there in the streets. I can’t sugar coat it because this is what’s going on in the lives of many people today…This isn’t just about smoking crack.... I was literally around killing all day long and going home and crying at night praying to God to save me.”

Popular Posts