WEINER ROAST: Embattled NY Congressman Resigns After Admitting to Sexting

The Internet, and social networking sites in particular, have blighted both marriages and careers, but Congressman Anthony Weiner (D-NY) may be the first politician to get outed for sexting on Twitter. 

Rep. Weiner tweeted a provocative photo of his crotch to a college student in Seattle on May 27, initially claiming his account was hacked, but later admitting it was him.  Weiner confessed to interacting with at least six women via Twitter, Facebook, email and text message, including a 17-year-old Delaware girl, although he denied the messages were indecent. 

After 3  weeks of being roasted in the media, and being pressured to resign by senior democratic staffers, effective June 16, Weiner is a former U.S. Congressman. These words from President Obama on the issue may have been to final straw in causing Weiner to bow: "If it were me, I would resign."   Amid jeers and heckling, during a press conference yesterday  that's precisely what Weiner did stating:

"I had hoped to be able to continue the work that the citizens of my district elected me to do," Weiner said. "Unfortunately, the distraction that I myself have created has made that impossible. So today I'm announcing my resignation from Congress."

He added, ". . .most importantly that my wife and I can continue to heal from the damage I have caused."

The embattled ex-Congressman and his wife, Huma Abedin,  a longtime aide to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, are expecting their first child.  They were married last July.

Popular Posts