TUNE IN ALERT: BET's first mini-series explores little known character over 3 days

This Black History Month BET tells the story of Aminata Diallo (Aunjanue Ellis, "The Help") and her travels from Mali to Britain during slavery in the mini-series, "Book of Negroes." Last night during its premiere, viewers were introduced to the courageous early life of Diallo as she entered slavery/servitude in South Carolina. "If I can't say a word, I just wave my hand." These words from an Old 100 hymn are indeed an appropriate reaction to the story thus far. The history of Blacks from Africa to America is astounding to the point it can be numbing. Much can and has been said about the highs and lows of the "Black Experience." This is the first time I am hearing the story from the perspective of a non-American and woman (it is Canadian made) and thus far have no words to describe the feeling I experienced as I gasped, looked away and at times stared blankly into the eyes of the lead character. The acting and directing kept me completely enraptured. As an African American, I was literally moved to reverential silence, with respect to the captivity, Middle Passage and arrival of Africans to a strange new land. Tonight, part 2 of the epic, 3-part event airs on BET at 8:00 p.m. ‪#‎blackhistorymatters‬ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNHG_3-Zad8

Popular Posts