AUTO IMMUNE DISEASE AWARENESS CAMPAIGN: I have Fibromyalgia, this is my story

buzzz worthy. . .

By Mona Austin



Journalist Mona Austin marks a decade of Fibromyalgia survival with the "10 for 10 Fibro Free" social media campaign, exposing the disease that is getting on African American women's nerves


Bristow, VA -- The month of March is Auto-immune Disease Awareness Month and the start of the "10 for 10 Fibro Free" social media campaign, launched by Multimedia Journalist and Fibromyalgia sufferer, Mona Austin. For over 15 years Austin has told the stories of gospel and mainstream celebrities ranging from Kirk Franklin to Patti Labelle and kept radio listeners abreast of the pulse of Capitol Hill and the White House for 7 years. Now the roles are reversed and Austin is the subject of the feature story. This year marks the 10 year anniversary of Austin's survival and she will celebrate by doing what she does best--telling the story of Fibromyalgia and its impact on her life through a "Fibro Free" series of blog posts and making media and event appearances to raise awareness about the disease targeting African American women.

Fibromyalgia is a form of autoimmune disease marked by chronic pain and fatigue that attacks the central nervous system. The incurable condition is hard to diagnose and often misunderstood by both doctors, patients and family members of those who suffer from it. Fibromyalgia occurs more frequently in women than men. After years of uncertainty doctors now believe it is caused by physical or mental trauma. Hard to diagnose, the syndrome is often mistaken for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Lupus, Arthritis or mental illness. Doctors determine the condition by placing pressure on 18 key trigger points in the body that are disturbed by hyper nerve activity. Fibromyalgia causes its sufferers to feel alienated and hopeless due to the mysterious nature of the condition.  

Austin feels Fibromyalgia and those suffering from it deserve a place in the forefront of public awareness. The syndrome is often overshadowed by more prominent diseases. Recognizing the void in advocacy, support group infrastructure and limited resources overall, five years ago Austin partnered with the National Fibromyalgia Association and held her first awareness event in Atlanta, GA.  







Here is the Fibromyalgia champion's story in her own words:

No other doctor had touched me in those places before.

"Does this hurt?" the doctor asked, poking a probing fingertip into the bend of my arms, legs and hips.

"Ouch!," I squealed, ready to jump to the ceiling.

"Yes, that hurts!" The pain was fiery and there was no denying something was wrong.

With a knowing gaze the Rheumatologist turned to me and said, "You have Fibromyalgia."

That was the day I as formally diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 10 years ago. In retrospect, I knew I was in for some challenges, but I had no idea how drastically my life was about to change. 

I suffered in silence for many years for two reasons. First, the changes I was experiencing made no sense to me and I did not want to appear "strange." I had no reference point for the extreme bouts of tiredness, becoming forgetful and foggy-brained, having chills, getting lightheaded or why my legs felt like logs. It was actually hard to describe all these erratic symptoms and I didn't think doctors would "get it." (Unfortunately, I was right. Not every doctor know what to look for and after a few frustrating hospital visits I reverted to back to taking my health into my on hands.) Second, I did not want to trouble anyone with my issues and cause loved ones to worry about me. 

The previous year I had met Fatima Lowe. Lowe was a God-send! I was hosting my first "Extreme Makeover for the Woman' Soul" event and she joined us to share her wellness journey. She taught us the importance of being a part of one's own natural healing process through consciously connecting the mind, body and spirit. She has Fibromyalgia and was the first to tell me to listen to my body and document the warning signs. Lowe inspired me to do more research on Fibromyalgia. Having heeded her advice, by the time the doctor delivered the news I was mentally prepared to accept it and deal with it. Knowing has truly been half the battle.

While Fibromyalgia occurs mores frequently in women in their 30s, this syndrome does not discriminate. Millions of women, men and children from various ethnicities have the disease, but often African American women are the last to know.

Living with FibromyaIgia has affected every aspect of my life from my career to my personal life. Adjusting to the loss of freedom and autonomy and learning to live with limitations has almost been as challenging as coping with the pain itself.  

I have addressed the chronic pain and inflammation associated with Fibromyalgia by adopting a regimen of lifestyle changes that include managing pain through natural means, diet, moderate exercise, prayer, stress management and "spiritual detox."  This has been a long, vicious fight that I can not imagine enduring without a firm spiritual foundation. For as long as I can, I will advocate for awareness and compassion toward those suffering from this dreadful illness.

In celebration of my survival I created the "10 for 10 Fibro Free " social media campaign. Here are ways you can help spread awareness:


  • Share this post with at least 10 people via e-mail or social media.
  • If you have a Web site or blog publish my story and urge readers to use the #fibrofree hash tag
  • Invite me to speak at your church, company or event
  • Donate at least 10 dollars toward Fibromyalgia treatment at http://www.fibromyalgiatreatment.com/donations.html
Learn more about Fibromyalgia at http://www.fmaware.org/ Show you care, become Fibroaware. 
Stay up to date with events associate with this campaign by joining Austin on the Sisterhood Confidential/Extreme Makeover for the Woman's Soul Facebook page.

Popular Posts