Famed publicist Patti Webster passes

buzzz worthy. . .

Patti Webster

Owner and Principal Publicist of the New Jersey based firm, W&WPR, Patti Webster has passed away. Webster served as the pitch woman for numerous high profile celebs for over 20 years such as Janet Jackson, Patti Labelle, Jay Z, and Ludacris. The daughter of pastors, a devout Christian and minister of the gospel with a bright sense of humor, she also authored the book of funny stories about the on-goings in Church titled "It Happened In Church." The cause of her death is unknown.

 In the story below, Webster shared her faith with EUR Publisher Lee Bailey in the Fall of 2006.

PATTI WEBSTER'S HIGHER CALLING: Lee Bailey interview reveals Christian 
testimony from publicist to the stars. 

By Mona Austin


      If this story were a press release the headline would read: 
"Publicist Passively Pitches Christ to Hollywood's Heavy Hitters." The 
publicist is PR guru Patti Webster. She has been the personal scribe 
penning publicity and managing media for some of the most popular names 
in entertainment including Janet, Jay Z, Patti Labelle, and Tye 
Tribbett. In a rare turn of events, she found herself being the subject 
of interest.

      During the pause before a phone interview for "Ms. Jackson," a 
casual conversation with EUR founder Lee Bailey about the convenience of 
technology and workaholic music artists converted the Publicist to the 
stars into an unsuspecting interviewee and "evangelist." 

      Patti has a family history of women in church leadership, but she 
chose publicity as her pulpit. However, she is involved in several 
departments at her mother's church.   She is also a ministerial student 
committed to leading a lifestyle commensurate to Christianity. Friday 
night: choir rehearsal. Sunday morning: worship. That's the order of 
business for Webster on her two days of rest from the entertainment 
business. And she exclaims that everyone who knows Patti understands 
that Jesus Christ is her superstar and interrupting her time with God is 
off limits-no matter who the celebrity is.

      Tight-lipped by profession, she is imperviously guarded when it 
comes to exposing her clients' private lives, as well as her own. 

      In the company of a veteran snoop, however, the pitcher becomes 
the ball. Making good use of the twenty-two minute wait before Janet 
joined the call, Lee wielded her into his journalistic chamber. Shortly 
thereafter Patti asks, "Am I being interviewed?" "Yes. I guess. We're 
just talking," Lee quibbles in a purred baritone. 

      On the other hand, while in the company of a veteran pitcher, the 
snoop is served an earful of Good News. The publicist's guard lowers 
when given the opportunity to talk about her love for Jesus Christ. 
Webster comfortably ministers to Bailey, demonstrating the execution of 
her beliefs without imposition.

      God's immutable presence is perceptible throughout this 
good-natured sparring match between two media heavyweights.

      After a jostle with Lee about not wanting to break the unwritten 
PR rule (i.e., keep the client in the spotlight, not yourself), although 
conscientious, Patti agreed to have her story published in the Gospel 
EUR Report. The outcome of the "conversation" is the inspiring 
testimony of Christian faith from Webster, the CEO of W&W Public 
Relations. 

      The exchange begins when Lee expresses puzzlement about highly 
successful entertainers working so much that they don't get to enjoy the 
fruit of their labor: 

Patti Webster: Yeah I think when you get to a place where you can enjoy 
it-enjoy it. You know you only live twice.

Lee Bailey: You only live twice? How's that?

PW: 'Cus if you believe in God and believe there's a heaven and a hell 
you live here and you live in heaven.

LB: Well yeah. You don't believe you'll live in hell?

PW: Oh you'll live in hell too. That's why you'll live twice.

LB: You're talking about the afterlife to life as we know it-this life 
here. Yeah, well I think heaven or hell will take care of itself.

PW: Yeah. I'll choose heaven.

LB: I don't think you need much in either place, but down here it's 
certainly better to have all the accoutrements. I don't know if you 
need 'em but it's certainly better to have resources than not to have 
them as far as I'm concerned no matter what one's outlook is. . .

PW: My grandfather use to say, "Let's just wait and see." Somebody's 
wrong. (Laughter) He said I'd rather have a hope beyond a hope than not 
have that.

LB: Yeah there's no question about that. Now, somebody told me a while 
ago that you were studying to be a minister or something?

PW: I am.

LB: You are a minister?

PW: Uh huh.

LB: Really?

PW: A deacon-ordained deacon. Church administrator, over the youth 
ministry, pastor's aid ministry, the adjutant ministry.

LB: And you're a publicist? We're gonna have to sit down and talk one 
day.

PW: Want me to enlighten you?

LB: Please.

PW: I will. When I first started the business I wasn't as in love with 
Christ as I am now. I didn't understand the plan at the time the plan 
that he had. I had a lot of people praying for me, but I didn't 
understand His plan for me. And I do understand that the prayers of the 
righteous avail much. So, I started the business and at the time I was 
dealing with Robin Givens, I wasn't really doing music, I was doing more 
film kind of stuff. But music was my forte. And of course the church 
folks were like "Oh my God what is she doing, she's hangin' out with the 
sinners." My mother works for Johnson and Johnson and she's a pastor. 
Johnson and Johnson makes contraceptives and she doesn't necessarily 
agree with it, but that's the company she works for and that's what they 
do. ...

      As I grew closer to Christ I learned that my ministry is where I 
am and that there are those that are in this business that don't know 
who God is and feel that they've moved so far from him that they can't 
be introduced to him and the goodness of Him and I believe that's why he 
has placed me here. I have not compromised my morals and my standards. 
I live as much of a holy and righteous life as I can and when I fail I 
know that His grace is there. 

      But a prophet explained it to me better than anybody could. He 
came to my church, Prophet Raphel Green, I'll never forget him, from St 
Louis, MO. And I was still getting a lot of criticism form the church. 
(And this guy I did not know.) He said listen, "Lord knows why He put 
you here. He says for me to tell you to remember Daniel, remember Ester 
and remember Joseph. They all worked for pagans, people who didn't know 
Me. I need you here so you can open up you mouth." And that's what it's 
been all about.

LB: Does that mean you proselytize to your clients?

PW. No. I don't do that. I live a life that's holy and grounded.

LB: I'm sure that must be quite a challenge.

PW: It's not a challenge. It is what it is. Janet Jackson deserves to 
be introduced to Christ like anybody else. And Jesus didn't stay in the 
temple. He walked among sinners. He ate at peoples' houses and people 
were like "Why are you eating there, he's not of us". . .I don't know if 
you know the Bible.

LB: To a certain degree.

PW: Jesus was not in the church preaching to the church folk. He was 
out in the street preaching to those that were lost and that needed 
healing and those that were hurting. That was his ministry. It was in 
the streets.

LB: So have you had this conversation with her and J.D. (Jermaine 
Dupri)?

PW: As it relates to?

LB: Christ.

PW: No. The best example, the best testimony that I have is my life. I 
don't have to say J.D. you're a sinner. I don't have to do that. Jesus 
didn't do any ... He just showed love and displayed love and that's all 
I do.

LB: Well if you don't say something to somebody, in other words how can 
you be a minister and carry on His Word, carry on His deeds if you don't 
say it with your mouth? I mean how you live your life is one thing but 
at some point you have to espouse your beliefs. I don't know that you 
have to but it seems like you should almost have to?

PW: Espousing of your beliefs are when you have conversations over 
dinner "So now why do you do Bible study on Tuesday? Why do you go to 
Bible study?" That's where it's one puts it in your face. The questions 
come. It's just natural. You know what I mean? It's a natural 
progression so if he asks that question that gives me then the 
opportunity to share.

LB: Yes ... but aren't you chomping at the bit to share your experience?

PW: Am I being interviewed?

LB: Yes. I'm just talking (laughing) ...

PW: ... Okay (laughing) ... 

LB: I'm sorry. I'm just talking (laughing).

PW: I'm glad I am talking to a journalist (laughing).

LB: We're just talking.

PW: Yeah. But no, I definitely feel in a way that is . . . not in an 
abrasive way is the best way I can say it. It's not a judgmental way, 
it's just in what I believe and if someone asked me yesterday "Why are 
you so peaceful all the time? Why do you have such peace?" And I said, 
"Well that's a good question. I can tell you it's because of God." 
He's my peace and it opens up a can of worms. It wasn't that I put it 
in their face. I didn't have a bible on the table. I wasn't talking it 
tongues ... I wasn't doing any of that but we were just having 
conversation. 

LB: Well that's so incredible that you can be in this business and 
represent people who are secular.

PW: Yeah, but there's many of us.

LB: Well yeah, that's true. I mean I know the world is not full of 
complete heathens.

PW: No, not at all. And you know what? The thing is that there are 
people even in the secular side that are just really good people. Just 
really good people and they don't understand the correlation of that yes 
there's a God who shines His sun on the unfaithful and the unjust as 
well as the holy and the righteous for lack of a better definition. But 
there is still a lifestyle that comes with this thing. To say "I thank 
God" and not live anything. To say I thank God and then go sleep with 
somebody two seconds later or say "I thank God and roll over" when 
you're not married or when you're living in a sinful way is 
hypocritical, one. But there is a lifestyle that comes with this thing 
and a lot of people aren't really taught that. Because all they know is 
"Oh yeah there's a God and I have to thank Him" but they don't know what 
comes with that.

LB: Well, that's sort of what we're talking about. You work with those 
people, and again not being judgmental and naming names. I'm not going 
to do that, but technically almost based on what one reads ... it's 
almost inconceivable on the one hand.

PW: It's almost inconceivable? Why? You can't share love without 
being among the one's who need the love.

LB: Well, that's a good point. Okay, touché. Good point, good point. 
Now, on the other hand, what's happening on the church scene? Did they 
come to accept you as you are or are you still dealing with the haters?

PW: Because I've not compromised who I am or in whom I believe. And I 
think that people have ... I've taught them the same way I taught them 
on the secular side, on the church side, that our job was to go out and 
reach the world and to teach and to share love. And if I'm not in a 
business or place set to do that then were not doing what we're called 
to do anyway.

LB: That's a good point. Now as you're saying that to them I'm sure 
you're cognizant that they're not necessarily 100% holy and right 
themselves.

PW: Absolutely! Yes and I think that's the biggest thing that I've 
shared; I sin everyday. I may have an impure thought. I may say the 
wrong thing. I may talk funny. But that's where grace comes in and we 
have to know that. (And Janet is going to be a running few minutes 
late. They just sent me an email I just got. She'll be on at 11:30.) 

LB: Okay. Well why don't we just continue chatting then?

PW: Okay (laughing).

LB: I mean, who knew?

PW: I know. People know I think.

LB: Well, yes people knew about you being a minister. I had heard but 
I meant who knew that we would be having this conversation.

Popular Posts