James Fortune avoids jail time with guilty plea

buzzz worthy. . .

James Fortune in court on March 8, 2016.


James fortune was sentenced to 5 years probation and 5 days in jail on a guilty plea related to domestic and family violence charges. Authorities said in 2014 Fortune struck his wife Cheryl with a bar stool injuring her pelvis.The "Live Through It Singer" has avoided prison as Cheryl does not want to drag her family through prolonged legal and emotional woes. If he violates probation he could face 10 year in prison.


When news of their altercation first surfaced Fortune  issued a statement  apologizing for his behavior, but said he couldn’t go into detail due to legal restrictions.
“I am truly sorry for the negative attention this situation has brought my wife, family, friends and business partners,” he said in a statement. “Because it is a pending legal matter, I cannot comment on what has been reported.”
He added, “I understand the seriousness of this matter and ask that you respect the privacy of my family as we address this together,” Fortune said.
Fortune ending his statement thanking fans for the support. “I would also like to thank my fans for their outpouring of love and support,” he concluded.

I the time since the domestic violence blow up Fortune  lost his position as the host of the Radio One's nightly gospel program, but continues to perform and make appearances.

ABC News 13 in Houston has more on the outcome of the charges.

Popular Posts