Skip to main content

THIS ONE IS PERSONAL: Gospel's Lecresia Campbell has died








By Mona Austin









As Gospel Music Heritage Month nears its close, I was working on completing a post about an artist who I feel embodies the "total package" and a stand out female vocalist. I'd selected Lecresia Campbell as the latter.   Unfortunately, today I learned of the passing of Ms. Campbell.  She was a gift to the Body of Christ whose name may only be recognized by gospel music enthusiasts.  She was well respected, but under recognized as gospel music became more commercialized.  Out of respect, honor and sincere sadness, I will dedicate this final post of GMH Month in her memory.















This loss is personal.  About a week before reports of her illness, Campbell crossed my mind.  As a classically inclined singer, everything about her voice inspired me.  I went to YouTube and played several of her songs back-to-back to pick up some tips and because I'd simply missed hearing her angelic voice. I never really knew what to do with my voice in the space of the gospel industry other than sing Negro Spirituals.  Spirituals performed on special occasions or in theatrical productions were a safe space for Black vocalists possessing an operatic tone. That is, of course, unless your first name was "Lecresia" and last name "Campbell." Her style was widely embraced. Campbell was doing what I'd only dreamt of doing - making a very formal vocal presentation acceptable to the church masses by pouring soulful innuendo on top of phrases.




On the day I revisited her song catalog, another quality of her music kept me engaged -- her ability to "minister" the song.   I came to hear music.  I stayed to experience ministry.  The comfort in Ms. Campbell's voice led me to a peaceful place as I listened to her rendering of "I'm In His Safety."


Within that week I learned from a Facebook post the Campbell had suffered a stroke. She apparently underwent a subsequent surgery that was successful and was scheduled to be released form the hospital tomorrow, Sept. 30.  Fans were hopeful for a full recovery as Campbell posted a message on Facebook on September 7 saying she would be responding the messages.  As reported by ALWAYSALIST.COM, Campbell sadly  died today of a pulmonary embolism.




In the clip above Campbell's glorious soprano is on full display.   Thank you for so freely giving your gift.  May heaven be enlarged with your presence as you forever dwell in His safety, Lecresia Campbell.  RIP.



Popular posts from this blog

NEWLYWEDS: Bishop Marvin Winans weds after 30 years

  By Mona Austin One of the most eligible bacherlors in Christianity has tied the knot - Marvin Winans remarries After being single for almost 30 years, legendary gospel singer and Bishop Marvin L. Winans, Sr. has wed his long time girlfriend Deneen R. Carter. Carter is a 57-year-old physical therapist and minister at Perfecting Church in Detroit, founded by Winans. Little is known about the bride publicly. The gospel legend introduced the now Mrs. Winans as his fiance to the congregants of Perfecting in October of 2021. The couple had been in a relationship for 15 years. Pastor Winans was previously married to fellow gospel singer Vicki Winans (with whom he has two sons) for 16 years before they divorced in 1995. Held at the Colony Club in Detroit, MI, on April 22, the wedding was officiated by fellow COGIC Bishop Darrell Hines. "Let their lives be full of joy as they live according to your word," he prayed. If we are judging by floral count, this could be one of th...

Alabama Pastor Shot and Killed in Domestic Incident

Pastor Da’Quarius Green , a 31-year-old leader of Elba Zion Missionary Baptist Church in Alabama, was shot on Dec. 23, 2025 and died several days later in the hospital after a domestic dispute at his home in Level Plains . Authorities have described the shooting as a “domestic incident” involving his wife,  𝐐𝐮𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐚 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐲. Local news station WTVY reported "c ourt records show that Green was arrested on misdemeanor domestic violence charges 3 times in Houston County last year, with each of those cases dismissed. Also in 2024, a woman filed a protection order against Green in Houston County in which she believed him to be a danger," but did not confirm Mrs. Massey as the suspect.    Various reports indicate the couple's children were present when he was shot in the head.   In one instance, a woman who shared children with Green alleged that he repeatedly struck her , including once when she was pregnant. The sitution appears to be shaping int...

Christian Rapper and Wife Reconcile, Renew Vows

Da' T.R.U.T.H. Celebrates Eighth Wedding Anniversary With Vow Renewal & Issues Public Statement Acclaimed Christian Hip Hop Artist Da’ T.R.U.T.H. renewed his wedding vows with beautiful wife Nicole Lambert earlier this week on Tuesday, June 15th—their eighth wedding anniversary. This special event punctuated the completion of their official restoration plan—marking the page of a new beginning and giving testimony to the redeeming power of reconciliation. Additionally, today, he has released a public letter to his family and supporters on his website www.datruth.net. The private ceremony, held in their backyard and attended by family and close friends, was officiated by Bishop Gilbert and Mrs. Debi Coleman—the marriage counseling team leading the Lambert’s restoration process. Also in attendance were Alvin Love & CeCe Winans (pictured in the insert), who have been walking intimately with the couple as supporting counselors and mentors. Da’ T.R.U.T.H.’s long-time frie...