Skip to main content

Marvin Sapp resigns from his Michigan church to become pastor in Texas



Grammy award winning gospel singer and pastor Marvin Sapp has resigned from the church he founded to assume a position in another.  Sapp is leaving his Lighthouse Full Life Center in Grand Rapids, Michigan that he started with his late wife MaLinda per the request of  Bishop Richard E. Young. Young will retire later this year and said he felt Pastor Sapp was the "chosen vessel" the be his successor.  Sapp will become the  Senior Pastor of Chosen Vessel Cathedral in Fort Worth, Texas. "Bishop Young is a close family friend who is like an Uncle to Marvin Sapp," according to a press release.  Sapp will step down in September, but retain his affiliation with the ministry as the Chairman of the Board.

Learn more about what motivated this new endeavor for the artist/pastor in Marvin Sapp's resignation statement below:

When MaLinda and I started Lighthouse Full Life Center in 2003, it was with a clear focus on building a strong church that would be a wellspring of spiritual teaching and growth in Grand Rapids – a church firmly rooted in solid bible teaching and firmly focused on serving the Grand Rapids community.
Sixteen years later, I am proud of the presence that Lighthouse has in Grand Rapids. We have been consistent in our commitment to excellence in ministry and we have been consistent in our service to the community. We also have been good stewards of our resources: the church is debt free, which facilitates the ability to focus on the most important aspect of its existence – the needs of the people.
As most people know, the personal, professional and spiritual transitions in my life over the past eight years have been tremendous. Through the divine direction of God, I have kept a focus on my family, Lighthouse Full Life Center and my work in the City of Grand Rapids while managing life-altering change. I have been content in doing so, as the Word tells me to be content in all things.
However, in August of 2017, the Lord told me that 2018 was going to be the year for me to begin again. In 2018, I received multiple prophecies about transitioning from Grand Rapids. I initially rejected them. However, reminded of what the Lord told me, I began to be more contemplative and prayerful about the many opportunities that I was presented with to possibly assume church leadership roles in other cities.
This year, an opportunity was presented that I know represents the fulfillment of the prophecies I had received. As such, I am announcing my retirement as Senior Pastor of Lighthouse Full Life Center. The first Sunday in September will be my final Sunday at Lighthouse. I will remain as Chairman of the Board of Directors at Lighthouse, and will provide spiritual oversight of the church.
On September 15th, I will become the Senior Pastor of Chosen Vessel Cathedral in Forth Worth, Texas.
I received the call directly from Bishop Richard Young that he planned to retire this year and wanted me to take over his church. After considerable prayer and counsel, it became clear to me that this request was predestined. Bishop Young was like a brother to my spiritual father, the late Bishop William C. Abney. In fact, Bethel Pentecostal Church, which Bishop Abney led for more than 50 years, was founded by Bishop Young’s father. This is why I cherish the opportunity to continue the legacy of the great men of God who have impacted my life. It is something that I know in my heart is meant for me to do.
I will announce my successor at Lighthouse Full Life Center soon. The beauty of God’s timing with this transition is that Lighthouse is not going to miss a beat. The ministry birthed by MaLinda and I is firmly established, the pastoral team is comprised of gifted spiritual leaders who will function with continued excellence and care, and the church itself is unburdened by debt.
I am confident Lighthouse Full Life Center will flourish and its legacy will continue, as I move to Fort Worth, Texas to continue the legacy that is left for me.



Popular posts from this blog

Alabama Pastor Shot and Killed in Domestic Incident

Pastor Da’Quarius Green , a 31-year-old leader of Elba Zion Missionary Baptist Church in Alabama, was shot on Dec. 23, 2025 and died several days later in the hospital after a domestic dispute at his home in Level Plains . Authorities have described the shooting as a “domestic incident” involving his wife,  𝐐𝐮𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐚 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐲. Local news station WTVY reported "c ourt records show that Green was arrested on misdemeanor domestic violence charges 3 times in Houston County last year, with each of those cases dismissed. Also in 2024, a woman filed a protection order against Green in Houston County in which she believed him to be a danger," but did not confirm Mrs. Massey as the suspect.    Various reports indicate the couple's children were present when he was shot in the head.   In one instance, a woman who shared children with Green alleged that he repeatedly struck her , including once when she was pregnant. The sitution appears to be shaping int...

Christian Rapper and Wife Reconcile, Renew Vows

Da' T.R.U.T.H. Celebrates Eighth Wedding Anniversary With Vow Renewal & Issues Public Statement Acclaimed Christian Hip Hop Artist Da’ T.R.U.T.H. renewed his wedding vows with beautiful wife Nicole Lambert earlier this week on Tuesday, June 15th—their eighth wedding anniversary. This special event punctuated the completion of their official restoration plan—marking the page of a new beginning and giving testimony to the redeeming power of reconciliation. Additionally, today, he has released a public letter to his family and supporters on his website www.datruth.net. The private ceremony, held in their backyard and attended by family and close friends, was officiated by Bishop Gilbert and Mrs. Debi Coleman—the marriage counseling team leading the Lambert’s restoration process. Also in attendance were Alvin Love & CeCe Winans (pictured in the insert), who have been walking intimately with the couple as supporting counselors and mentors. Da’ T.R.U.T.H.’s long-time frie...

U.S. Murder Offenders by Race: 2023 FBI Data

  Data on murders (homicides) committed by race in the United States primarily comes from the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program, which relies on reports from law enforcement agencies. The most recent detailed breakdown available is for 2023, but due to the FBI's transition to a new reporting system (NIBRS), not all agencies submitted complete data—only about 70-80% of the population was covered, so totals are undercounts. These figures represent known offenders (where race was identified), not arrests or convictions, and include single-offender and multi-offender incidents. In 2023, there were approximately 15,708 known murder offenders with identified race. Here's the breakdown: Race Number of Offenders Percentage of Known Offenders Rate per 100,000 Population White 8,842 56.3% 3.51 Black or African American 6,405 40.8% 14.00 Other (American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian, Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander) 461 2.9% 1.31 Notes on the...