RIP: Toni Morrison has died

I am blue from the discovery of this sorrowful news...

One of the most prolific writers and thinkers in the world, Toni Morrison has died. The Beloved writer won the Pulitzer Prize for her book, which  was adapted into a movie.   She was also the first Black woman to win the Noble Prize. Pneumonia took her breath away. She was 88.

It is from the above accomplishments most people will remember her. For me; I owe Morrison a personal debt of gratitude.

Queen Toni Morrison  put jazz in my pen, causing me to wax poetic as a journalist.  Taught me to color outside the lines as a writer -- with a  syncopated grammar   and still create non-abstract art.  A marvel in the literary lexicon, Morrison is the reason I know Lorain, OH exists. I only mention this for one reason. To reflect that her greatness as a writer led me to want to know more about her as a person.  From whence did this vessel come? On the map it was Lorain, but mentally Morrison came from the souls if black folks, always  looking after our spritual/psycological welfare.

She did her consciousness raising on pages as a novelist, becoming a literary leader worthy of eternal  respect. It is in this tradition that I too write on.

Popular Posts