Rand Paul changes his position on Civil Rights at Howard University

buzzz worthy. . .

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) changed his position on the Civil Rights Act when responding to a question at an event that was held at Howard University yesterday.


It’s a mischaracterization of my position. I’ve never been against the Civil Rights Act, ever, and I continue to be for the Civil Rights Act as well as the Voting Rights Act. There was a long, one interview that had a long, extended conversation about the ramifications beyond race, and I have been concerned about the ramifications of certain portions of the Civil Rights Act beyond race, as they are now being applied to smoking, menus, listing calories and things on menus, and guns. And so I do question some of the ramifications and the extensions but I never questioned the Civil Rights Act and never came out in opposition to the Civil Rights Act or ever introduced anything to alter the Civil Rights Act.

MSNBC host Rachel Maddow said Paul is flat out lying:
“I remember [the interview] because it’s the last time [Paul] ever spoke to me………..Rand Paul saying at Howard University today that he never questioned the Civil Rights Act is not true. And it’s not true on tape … It’s one thing to have a sketchy record on racial discrimination you don’t want to defend, it’s another to think you can get away with flat-out lying about it. If you’re a U.S. senator, you’re Googleable! 

Popular Posts