Feeling the fatherless void: Kids of single moms on Father's Day, President Obama can relate

buzzz worthy. . .
President Barack Obama talks with students from the Becoming A Man (BAM) program, in the Oval Office following the Father's Day luncheon at the White House, June 14, 2013. The President held a roundtable with the BAM students in Chicago earlier this year. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)
By Mona Austin

Father's Day was bittersweet for President Barack Obama.

Like millions of children around the nation, President Obama did not grow up with his biological father due to divorce.

As the President Of The United States (POTUS) commemorated Father's Day in his weekly address, he recalled having a desire to connect with his father despite having the support of his mother and grandparents.

"“I never really knew my own father. I was raised by a single mom and two wonderful grandparents who made incredible sacrifices for me, and there are single parents all across the country who do a heroic job raising terrific kids," he said.


"But I still wish I had a dad who was not only around, but involved; another role model to teach me what my mom did her best to instill."


There are 10 million (2011 Census Bureau) single mothers in the United States, leaving a vast number of children to celebrate father figures on Father's Day instead of their real dads.  Among  African Americans 2 out of 3 children do not have their birth father in the home, far exceeding any other ethnic group.

Since the POTUS has experienced the absence of a father, he strives to be the man his father never was to his family and others.

Obama has frequently spoken publicly about  the issue of absentee fathers and broken families.

During a May 19 commencement address at Morehouse College (an all male Historically Black College), he stressed personal responsibility, telling 500 Morehouse graduates to “keep setting an example for what it means to be a man.”

“My whole life, I’ve tried to be for Michelle and my girls what my father wasn’t for my mother and me,” Obama said, referring to his own dad who left his family when he was a baby. “I want to break that cycle where a father’s not at home, where a father’s not helping to raise that son and daughter. I want to be a better father, a better husband, a better man.”

On June 14, the White House hosted  a Father's Day Luncheon where Obama discussed the importance of fatherhood and mentorship with leaders and members of B.A.M (Becoming A Man), a youth guidance program based in Chicago schools. Over a menu of burgers, fries, apples and ice cream he said being a father is the "best job I've got."

"All our personal successes shine a little less brightly if we fail at family," said the President as he spoke to the nation in the Father's Day video.

Remaining true to his words, President Obama attended a dance recital for his daughter Sasha on Father's Day before he and the family departed for Northern Ireland, where he will attend the G-8 Summit.

The president not only spoke about his personal feelings, but offered what he plans to do to impact fatherlessness as a leader.   He called for reforming child support laws to "get more men working and engaged with their children."


"My administration will continue to work with the faith and other community organizations, as well as businesses, on a campaign to encourage strong parenting and fatherhood," he said.


Popular Posts