Read the Full Statement: Flynn resigns amid Russian controversy


By Mona Austin

Retired Army Lieutenant General Michael Flynn, Donald Trump's pick for National Security Advisor has resigned. Flynn, who was accused of having a questionable relationship with the Russian government, is the latest to fail in what Trump critics view as the administration's house of cards.

Flynn, former head of the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) was also previously under fire for saying that Islamism is a cancer and accepting pay to speak in Russia.

The strongest accsusation hurled against him suggests he discussed with a Russian ambassador the retaliatory sanctions President Barack Obama's administrationimposed on Russia for interference in the election.  Flynn denied having that conversation to Vice President Pence. On Monday, Flynn has admitted in a statement he gave the President and VP "incomplete" information. Flynn's statement and resgination follows:

Unfortunately, because of the fast pace of events, I inadvertently briefed the Vice President Elect and others with incomplete information regarding my phone calls with the Russian Ambassador. I have sincerely apologized to the President and the Vice President, and they have accepted my apology.


Throughout my over thirty three years of honorable military service, and my tenure as the National Security Advisor, I have always performed my duties with the utmost of integrity and honesty to those I have served, to include the President of the United States.
I am tendering my resignation, honored to have served our nation and the American people in such a distinguished way.


I am also extremely honored to have served President Trump, who in just three weeks, has reoriented American foreign policy in fundamental ways to restore America's leadership position in the world.


As I step away once again from serving my nation in this current capacity, I wish to thank President Trump for his personal loyalty, the friendship of those who I worked with throughout the hard fought campaign, the challenging period of transition, and during the early days of his presidency.


I know with the strong leadership of President Donald J. Trump and Vice President Mike Pence and the superb team they are assembling, this team will go down in history as one of the greatest presidencies in U.S. history, and I firmly believe the American people will be well served as they all work together to help Make America Great Again.


Michael T. Flynn, LTG (Ret)
Assistant to the President / National Security Advisor



In the course of my duties as the incoming National Security Advisor, I held numerous phone calls with foreign counterparts, ministers, and ambassadors. These calls were to facilitate a smooth transition and begin to build the necessary relationships between the President, his advisors and foreign leaders. Such calls are standard practice in any transition of this magnitude.

The nation is left vulnerable without one of the most siginificant advisors three weeks into Trump's reign. CNN reports for CIA head David Patreaus is under consideration as a replacement. Also included on the short list of potential replacements are RETIRED VICE ADMIRAL ROBERT HARWARD and RETIRED LT. GEN. KEITH KELLOGG.


Last month Acting Attorney General Sally Yates warned the Trump Administration that Flynn msled the administration about what he discussed with a Russian ambassador. It is also beleived Flynn was the target of Russian blackmail.

Popular Posts