Critics question fariness of Trump's pardon of drug offender Alice Marie Johnson

Alice Marie Johnson, the woman whose story Kim Kardashian West brought to the forefront of prison reform, walked away from a life sentence yesterday.

"I can only thank God, for God works in mysterious ways. . .  I have had media attention before, but never like this.  I acknowledge that I have done wrong. . .I participated in a  drug conspiracy and I was wrong. . ." Johnson said, considering her release "a miracle." President Trump commuted the 63-year-old's sentence as a result of an appeal from West.

It appears the favor was divine as God worked through the heart of a man who staunchly supports the death penalty.  In fact, Trump has said the death penalty should apply to drug offenders.

The situation is atypical.  Trump circumvented the process as a favor to a reality starsome say.  Unsually commutations and pardons reach the president through the Department of Justice. Without a champion of celebrity status, numerous others with similar charges are still imprisoned. 

Critics of the decision  to commute one person instead of changing the system overall believe it" is unfair not to address address criminal justice reform overall to serve many, not just one. 

President Trump tweeted: "Good luck to Alice Marie Johnson.  Have a wonderful life."

In a CNN interview, Johnson recognized the POTUS is responsible for her fresh start that she has begin in Memphis, TN.

"Pres, Trump made me having a wonderful life possible...I am amazed to hear I am one of his tweets.  I love it," exclaimed the former convict.

She said in response to the question, if given the chane to speak to Trum in person she would tell him, "Thank you president Trump, for really seeing me, . .not just looking at some data. . . " As for West, Johnson is abundantly grateful. She said she feels they had a heart connection and always will.

The release of Alice Marie Johnson has sparked further debate about how to fix the criminal justice system.

Popular Posts