Some gospel artists should take notes from Kirk Franklin on how to handle stardom

buzzz worthy. . .
By Mona Austin
Gospel music icon Kirk Franklin

The gentleman pictured above is multi-award winning songwriter/producer, Kirk Franklin. (For most people, he needs no introduction.)  I took this photo of him when he was being honored at the Essence Fest.  Known internationally as the top gospel act in the world, he is credited with pioneering the modern contemporary gospel music movement.  I have encountered Franklin numerous times (interviewed him 4) over the years and from our first meeting he has been consistently humble, kind,God-focused and professional. In fact, even though he is to gospel music what the late Michael Jackson was to Pop, he always says "hello" to me and gives me a hug whenever he sees me. Each time, I never expect it because he's "THE KIRK FRANKLIN."  His wife, Tammy, is equally as warm.   Unfortunately, I can not use the same words to describe many of the artists that have followed in his footsteps.  Not ALL, but many  less mature artists are chasing stardom/status/money at a faster pace than they are seeking to save souls. (Therein lies the problem.)  Such artists turn down interviews with media outlets that don't rank high in Google, demand top dollar to perform alongside tenured acts, present long lists of requests for hotel accommodations, etc. with no regard to protocol or the process. What's more, often, the pugnacious attitude of an artist's representative can also spoil their reputation, as it is not always the artist giving off a bad impression. If one of the best to ever do  gospel can act as a servant, why can't they?

The year 2014 marks my 10 year anniversary in the gospel industry.  The industry is much different than it was a decade ago, but the mission will never change. To paraphrase the mission it is to go out and tell everybody about God with salvation being the expected end. Anyone who has the privilege of setting their hand to the plow and cultivating space for God's music (which is simply his words set to rhythms and sounds)  should never lose sight of this shared commitment.

I admire Official Kirk Franklin for his humility just as much as I admire his musical gifts because stars like him in the gospel industry are becoming rare.  As I  reflect on my own personal journey in this business, I hope to continue with a spirit of meekness as Franklin has.   The man in the photo depicts how this genre should be represented.

Popular Posts