RIP: STEPHANIE DOTSON’S MIRACULOUS MUSICAL DEBUT (Republished)

Updated on 2/24/2015


The Home-going Celebration for Shreveport, LA based gospel recording artist Stephanie Dotson will be held on Saturday, February 28 at the Praise Temple Full Gospel Baptist Cathedral where she served as a Pastor/Elder.  Dotson passed away suddenly on Monday from a heart  condition. A musical tribute will precede the funeral at the church on Friday. 

Dotson recorded a CD titled "Miracles Still Happen" after winning the Gospel Dream singing contest and was known for her vocal performance om the big screen of "Pray On" in Tyler Perry's "Madea's Family Reunion." She also acted in stage plays and led worship at Praise Temple.

Expressing heartbreak over the loss to local news station KSLA, Nikisha Dotson-Smith, the late vocalist's sister said she wants her legacy to extend beyond her talent.
 
"I want everybody to remember her as an angel, a gift, a loyal person," Dotson-Smith said.


Details for the  Home-going Celebration for Elder Stephanie Dotson follow:

Friday, February 27, 2015
7pm - A musical tribute

Saturday, February 28, 2015
12pm (Noon) - Celebration


Both services and repast held at:
Praise Temple
4725 Greenwood Road
Shreveport, LA 71109
(318) 631-LOVE (5683)
PraiseTemple.com
 
Services are entrusted to:
Good Samaritan Funeral Home
2200 Laurel Street
Shreveport, LA 71103
(318) 221-7337


___________________________________________________________________

Published on February 22, 2015

Gospel singer Stephanie Dotson has passed away.  Dotson was a pastor/elder and worship leader at Praise Temple in Shreveport, LA.  No other information was available at press time, but will be provided on this site as details emerge. In honor of her memory and contribution to the gospel industry, an interview that was conducted during the early part of her career is republished below:

      While speaking to Shreveport, LA born singer, Stephanie Dotson, the squeak of porch swings and thick aroma of a home cooked meal come to my mind.   Her smile is the warmth of a Southern sunset. Her laugh a giggle, skipping like a rock flicked into a lake.

      When she talks it sounds like her mouth is filled with more than

just words. You know the sound ... buxom and round like cotton. 

Stephanie Dotson (Facebook photo)
That down-home voice landed her an appearance at the end of the Tyler Perry film, Madea’s Family Reunion, singing the melancholy, yet reassuring a capella “Pray On.”

      Her musical foray was formalized this Spring with the introduction
of her first album. But, the recording of Stephanie Dotson’s first CD
almost didn’t happen.

      Although she loves to sing, entering The Gospel Dream contest that ultimately secured her recoding deal had not occurred to her. But, Pastor Larry Brandon of the Praise Temple Full Gospel Baptist Cathedral,
recognizing her vocal opulence, encouraged his praise and worship leaderto participate. And then came that one moment in time, when all of her dreams were a heartbeat away. . .Stephanie Dotson was crowned the 2004 Gospel Dream Talent Search Winner, as millions watched the tears stream down her cheeks on BET’s most viewed Sunday morning program. The win was a genuine surprise for the unassuming artist, who said she dropped out of high school and was the least likely to succeed.
(She later earned a GED and nursing certificate.) With firsthand experience she could attest that “miracles still happen.” This epiphany became the title of her Artemis gospel recording.
 

With her career in full throttle, the Southern lady is still very active in
her church as a praise and worship leader and minister, and said she is grateful
to Co-Pastors Larry and Wanda Brandon for being her spiritual covering.
A more hectic schedule has made Dotson even closer to her family. At the
time of our interview Stephanie was playing hostess to her five and
nine-year-old nephews. Stephanie shared with me how she is getting
comfortable with this new season in her life and some surprise
interests:

Mona Austin: How has life been different since your Gospel Dream win?

Stephanie Dotson: Not the same old praise and worship. It’s on a whole
different feel, stage presence, the time schedule is different, all the
traveling. I opened for Lisa McClendon and my ‘God brother' Micah
Stampley.' I’ve been singing everywhere. . . Family knows you and our
church is a big family and when you get before other people a lot times
they're not receptive until they hear the power and anointing of God;
it's a different thing.

MA: What's your reception been like?

SD: All glory goes to God. A lot of people knew me. I didn't think they
would recognize me. . .It’s been really good.

MA: How are you adjusting to the change of pace?

I'm adjusting well. It gets strenuous trying to balance things. I’m
still doing praise and worship at church and preaching. I’m a minister.
My pastor taught me to put God first and everything else will fall into
place.

MA: Tell me about your background?

SD: My Mother and Father raised me. Pastor L.R. Dotson and Diane Dotson.
Grandfather is a pastor. I was in choir, gospel choir in high school.
Started singing at about the age of 3. My mom and Dad would stand me up
on a table and I would sing “Yes Jesus Loves Me.” Been singing 30+ years
now.

MA: Did you aspire to be anything other than a singer?

SD: One while I wanted to be a model. I've been looking at this thing
Mo'Nique is doing, I'm thinking about it ('P.H.A.T Chance'). I think her
style and how she looks is excellent for a full figured women--not her
mouth, but the way she presents her body.

MA: What do you want your fans to know about you?

SD: I'm cool, down to earth, believe in being a part of the people. You
have to know your audience. I believe in conversing with the people. I’m
somebody who loves life and loves God. I’m not stuck up like some
artists can be. You're really nothing without God. I’m a praise and
worship leader, and elder in the church. . .It’s not just a title, but I
want people to know me for who I am and I try to live that life.

SD: What would you like to see come of your gospel career?

. . .I wanna do things that hadn't been done. I want to go preach and
sing to those who don't know about Jesus---to teach the masses-- I want
a life changing ministry. And I want to encourage people to go on
through. I don't focus on what I'm going through--I just go through. I
want the ability and the anointing. With the two together lives will
change.

(Aside.) To work with Bishop Morton was very humbling, many have
imitated but there’s nobody like Bishop Morton; it was the right song for
this time. He's my musical mentor. He chose the right song for Katrina
and Rita.

MA: Why the title ‘Miracles Still Happen?’

SD: It's a miracle because it's been 30 years in the making and to have
it finally come true--to walk in your destiny is awesome. I'm glad it
came through. And I enjoyed working with Ted from Ted and Sheri who
coached me through.

MA: If you had the power to change anything in the world what would you
change?

SD: I would love to change religion. I would “x” out all religions
because we're just one body. There would be no religion. Every body
would just love Jesus.

MA: If you could be any inanimate object what would you be?

SD: I probably would be a spoon, so that I could taste Blue Belle
Millenuim Crunch Ice Cream.

MA: But you get to taste it while you’re a person. …

SD: But I get to live in it if I'm a spoon.

MA: What words would you share with future generations or the young
people of today?

SD: Holiness is right. Trying to live a life that is holy is right and
God will take them to heights unknown.

MA: What words would you like to appear on your tombstone when your
journey on Earth is over?



SD: Romans 8: 28 "All Good." It’s still all good.

This piece was originally published on August 9, 2006 in EURWEB.COM.

Popular Posts