The son of the late Rev. Jackson, Congressman Jonathan Jackson is speaking out about the Congress disallowing his father's body to lie in state for public viewing.
Last week I wrote a letter to Pres. Donald Trump and sent it via email to a press staffer. As a White House Correspondent, given certain circumstances I was not confident that I would get a response but because the subject was about Jesse Jackson I'd hoped I would. My actions must not be construed as activism or professional privilege as I have not used my role at the White House for personal or professional gain. To me, Rev. Jesse Jackson was living history, a reflection of flourishing integration and the very embodiment of progressive politics leading to transformative change in post-Civil Rights America. Falling in between Dr King, the "progenitor" and Pres Barack Obama (the product) Jackson was a unifying figure. He had done the uneasy work of manifesting equality and justice. That is why I named a civic participation award the Mountain Climber in his honor. Out of respect for this legacy I requested that the President Donald Trump leverage his friendship. My email follows:
"This correspondence serves as a formal and urgent request for the President’s intervention in a matter of national significance concerning his late friend, Rev. Jesse Jackson.
The Jackson family’s request for Rev. Jackson to lie in state at the United States Capitol was recently denied. While Rev. Jackson did not hold elected office, his profound and enduring impact on American political life and civil rights is beyond dispute.
Rev. Jackson’s legacy includes pivotal international diplomacy efforts—most notably his role in negotiating the release of hundreds of Americans detained in Kuwait and Iraq in 1990—alongside decades of civil rights leadership and the founding of the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition. Pres. Trump is likely well aware of this legacy. His advocacy shaped national conversations on justice, equality, and political representation. The magnitude of his influence on American democracy and global humanitarian efforts stands alongside other historic figures who have been afforded the honor of lying in state, including Rosa Parks.
It have not submitted a non-reporting related inquiry before...."
Congressman Jackson told CNN, "it was a very uncomfortable position for me just advocating for my father."
"It's not that my father was a transformative political figure, and so I didn't want to belabor that. My father's done his earthly work, and so he deserves his rest, and I thought it'd have been good for the nation, but history will judge that," he said.
It is likely that Democratic Minority leader Hakeem Jeffreis would have tried to get the honor as well. If anyone could turn a firm no into a yes it would be Pres. Trump I thought so I took a chance.