Skip to main content

Karen Pence talks re-opening schools in Soutch Carolia

REMARKS BY SECOND LADY KAREN PENCE
IN A ROUNDTABLE WITH VICE PRESIDENT MIKE PENCE, GOVERNOR MCMASTER, AND MRS. MCMASTER
ON SAFELY REOPENING SCHOOLS


Pastides Alumni Center
University of South Carolina
Columbia, South Carolina

THE SECOND LADY:  Thank you.  You know, as a teacher myself, I want to just take a moment to thank all the teachers because we all quickly learned how to do online teaching, and it wasn't something that our teachers across America were familiar with, and so I applaud the teachers who stepped up right away.  I know at our school it was a lot of, you know, me emailing the IT specialist saying, "Okay, now wait a minute.  How do I put these art projects in a folder on this new platform?"  And I know the teachers worked really, really hard.

But the parents are really the unsung heroes -- and I know we have some parents in the room today -- because they really had to get up to speed, and many of them were trying to telework from home as well and trying to juggle the time on the computer.  "Okay, I have a Zoom meeting and you have a Zoom class.  Hang on.  Let's figure this out."  It added a lot of stress to our families.  So thank you to all the parents.

But it's our kids who are struggling, and they need their friends, and they need their teachers.  And I've got to tell you: I love seeing the kids over here in the audience today.  It makes me eager to get back in the classroom.  But they need their routines, and the routines won't be exactly the same.  I mean, I'm an art teacher, and I don't get to teach in my art room this year.  I go cart -- with a cart, from room to room, because it's going to keep the kids safer.  They have their own supplies.  I don't set out supplies this year.  So there are ways that we can make it safe for our kids.  But they need their routines -- whatever the new routines are.

So the decision to open up schools greatly impacts our children.  It impacts them academically, which we're seeing; it impacts them socially; and it impacts them emotionally.  And so our kids, for their mental health and for their academic health, need to be back in school.

So thank you for letting me be here today.

Popular posts from this blog

Alabama Pastor Shot and Killed in Domestic Incident

Pastor Da’Quarius Green , a 31-year-old leader of Elba Zion Missionary Baptist Church in Alabama, was shot on Dec. 23, 2025 and died several days later in the hospital after a domestic dispute at his home in Level Plains . Authorities have described the shooting as a “domestic incident” involving his wife,  𝐐𝐮𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐚 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐲. Local news station WTVY reported "c ourt records show that Green was arrested on misdemeanor domestic violence charges 3 times in Houston County last year, with each of those cases dismissed. Also in 2024, a woman filed a protection order against Green in Houston County in which she believed him to be a danger," but did not confirm Mrs. Massey as the suspect.    Various reports indicate the couple's children were present when he was shot in the head.   In one instance, a woman who shared children with Green alleged that he repeatedly struck her , including once when she was pregnant. The sitution appears to be shaping int...

Christian Rapper and Wife Reconcile, Renew Vows

Da' T.R.U.T.H. Celebrates Eighth Wedding Anniversary With Vow Renewal & Issues Public Statement Acclaimed Christian Hip Hop Artist Da’ T.R.U.T.H. renewed his wedding vows with beautiful wife Nicole Lambert earlier this week on Tuesday, June 15th—their eighth wedding anniversary. This special event punctuated the completion of their official restoration plan—marking the page of a new beginning and giving testimony to the redeeming power of reconciliation. Additionally, today, he has released a public letter to his family and supporters on his website www.datruth.net. The private ceremony, held in their backyard and attended by family and close friends, was officiated by Bishop Gilbert and Mrs. Debi Coleman—the marriage counseling team leading the Lambert’s restoration process. Also in attendance were Alvin Love & CeCe Winans (pictured in the insert), who have been walking intimately with the couple as supporting counselors and mentors. Da’ T.R.U.T.H.’s long-time frie...

U.S. Murder Offenders by Race: 2023 FBI Data

  Data on murders (homicides) committed by race in the United States primarily comes from the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program, which relies on reports from law enforcement agencies. The most recent detailed breakdown available is for 2023, but due to the FBI's transition to a new reporting system (NIBRS), not all agencies submitted complete data—only about 70-80% of the population was covered, so totals are undercounts. These figures represent known offenders (where race was identified), not arrests or convictions, and include single-offender and multi-offender incidents. In 2023, there were approximately 15,708 known murder offenders with identified race. Here's the breakdown: Race Number of Offenders Percentage of Known Offenders Rate per 100,000 Population White 8,842 56.3% 3.51 Black or African American 6,405 40.8% 14.00 Other (American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian, Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander) 461 2.9% 1.31 Notes on the...